International and Transfer Students

International Students

International Students

The University of Minnesota School of Dentistry welcomes international students to apply to the DDS program. Applications must be submitted to AADSAS, the application center for U.S. dental schools.

If accepted, international students must guarantee sufficient funds to meet all their educational and personal expenses during the duration of the F-1 status at the University of Minnesota

Transferring undergraduate credits from foreign institution

While the standard requirement is 87 semester hours from an officially accredited U.S. or Canadian college or university, the School of Dentistry will consider undergraduate coursework from an accredited college or university, if supplied with official or certified transcripts and degree statements from all institutions attended.

Transcripts must be evaluated by ECE (Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.) In addition, applicants must complete a minimum of 30 semester hours of prerequisite courses and/or upper division science courses from an accredited college or university in the U.S. or Canada. English courses taken from an international college or university do not fulfill the School of Dentistry English requirement for admission.

English language proficiency

Applicants whose native language is not English must take an English language proficiency exam. The School of Dentistry requires that applicants take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). This requirement may be waived if you have proof of proficiency (high school and college English grades, length of time in country, DAT Reading Comprehension score, etc.).

You can request a waiver from the School of Dentistry by completing the TOEFL waiver request essay in ADEA AADSAS or by emailing [email protected], but a TOEFL score may still be requested by the Admissions Committee.

Minimum scores required (internet-based)

  • Overall Score: 102
  • Writing: 25
Transfer Students

Transfer Students

Dental students from U.S. or Canadian schools may apply for transfer to the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry. Students from non-U.S. or Canadian schools are not eligible for transfer. Graduates from foreign dental schools are encouraged to consider the UMN PASS, an advanced standing program.

Applications are open after a determination that there is an open seat in the DDS Class that the applicant is hoping to fill.

How to apply:

  • Fill out the Transfer Application Form and submit the following documents:
  • Copy of the AADSAS application form; this is not needed if application was sent to the U MN School of Dentistry
  • Letters from the Academic Dean and two faculty members of the current dental school
  • Transcripts from current dental school; no “D”, “F” “N” or “I” grades will be accepted
  • Application fee of $250.00; check should be addressed to the University of Minnesota

The DDS Admissions Sub-committee will review the application and will determine if the applicant will be called for interview. If the application is approved, the sub-committee will forward the applicant’s file to the Academic Dean who will assess the comparability of curricula between the U of MN School of Dentistry and the transferring institution. The Academic Dean will also seek approval from all course directors as to the acceptability of course work from the transferring institution and will determine the curricula to be given to the transfer student.