Self to replace Gorr as Interim Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Karl Self, DDS, MBA, became the Interim Associate Dean for Academic Affairs at the School of Dentistry effective May 9.
Self takes over the role from Sven-Ulrik Gorr, PhD, who has served in the position on an interim basis since May of 2020. “Dr. Gorr utilized his considerable academic administrative experience to ably lead the Academic Affairs team and our students through the pandemic,” said Dean Keith Mays, DDS, MS, PhD, in an email to the School of Dentistry community. “I am grateful to Dr. Gorr for his dedication to the role alongside his research collaborations.”
Self, whose term begins today, holds a DDS from the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry and an MBA from the Carlson School of Management. He joined the School of Dentistry faculty in 2006, having previously served as Executive Director of the University of Minnesota Community-University Health Care Center (CUHCC), Dental Director of a HealthPartners Dental clinic, a consultant with the State of Minnesota’s Department of Human Services and many other experiences. Dr. Self currently serves as and will remain the School of Dentistry’s Division Director of Dental Therapy.
As Interim Associate Director of Academic Affairs, Self will oversee all academic programs and processes and will lead the team of individuals that carry out the responsibilities related to Academic Affairs, including:
- Ranier Adarve, DMD, MS, MHPE, Director of Program for Advanced Standing Students
- Christine Blue, BSDH, MS, DHSc, Assistant Dean for Faculty Development
- Sara Johnson, MA, Assistant Dean for Student & Resident Affairs
- Brent Larson, DDS, MS, Assistant Dean for Advanced Education
- Naty Lopez, PhD, Assistant Dean for Admissions and Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Mercedes Porter, DDS, MA, Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs
- Kristin Shingler, PhD, Director of Assessment and Curricular Integration
- Julia Cross, Executive Assistant
The School of Dentistry expresses our gratitude to Gorr for his service and welcomes Self as he embarks on the new role.